At last, I was finally able to start painting again!
Here is the evolution, so far, of my new piece “Hairy Neighbour” (title subject to change, haha).
For now, I’ve worked two days on it. I started by transferring my sketch with pastel pencil on my toned canvas.
The first day was to work on the background. This is the first time that I use an airbrush to do a background (or to paint anything, really). So, there is a learning curve to it, but it seems to have worked for this piece. I had to do several layers and pretty much started over a few times before I got to an acceptable background. I will most likely be painting a bit on it to give it more texture.. I’ll see once the raccoon is completed.
The next step, were the eyes. I like to start with the eyes first. This way, I know if I’m on the right track or not.
Then I did some minor correction to the eyes and start restating the lines of the drawings.
My next step was to start blocking the different tones on the head, very roughly. Everything will be refined, but I needed to start with a base. A lot will change. I started to detail the ears and also blocked in the tree.
I will put the raccoon’s body in front of the bottom right branch, to give it more presence (it looks too small like that). I will probably rework the tree branches with a palette knife and, after the raccoon and tree are done, I will retouch the background if needed.
Hope to put the finished piece soon! I’ve also got to work on the title…