Paintings to date

 

From most recent

Yesterday, I got into the process of updating and tweaking the photos of my art work so that they would be more true to the pieces. I also needed to do this in order to get some art cards printed!

It has been quite a challenge to get back into painting about a year and a half ago. I’ve decided to have a look back at what I’ve done and it’s really interesting to see the progress.

I came to the conclusion that I definitely want and need to be more productive..

At first, this blog was supposed to be about daily painting. It worked for the first few paintings, but I quickly realised that it wasn’t going to be possible to keep that up with my schedule and the level of detail that I was trying to achieve. But, I am thinking about giving it another try! It would be a great challenge and learning experience. I would really like for my pieces to be more painterly. So, maybe doing a few daily small paintings and doing a big one once in a while. We’ll see!

Fluffius Maximus – The Raccoon

22_FluffiusMaximus.JPG

Fluffius Maximus, 16″ x 20″, Acrylics

Fluffius Maximus was our resident raccoon neighbour this summer. He lived in the tree in front of our condo. Every morning, around 8 o’clock-ish, we would hear the crows chasing him up the tree. Then, he would settle into a squirrel’s nest, and stay there until the sun went down, occasionally checking up on us. After he had thoroughly destroyed the squirrel’s nest, he moved on. The poor squirrel looked quite distraught when he saw its nest after Fluffius vacated the premises. I don’t think he got his security deposit back.. hehe.

 This painting went through a lot of changes since my last post. It went through  a phase where it looked like a dumpling, then it could have been a character in the movie Coraline, with tiny beady eyes. I had to totally repaint the eyes, and rework some parts of the background to un-dumpling Fluffius.

It was my first time using the airbrush to paint. I actually really like the result! It was a bit inconvenient when I had to reshape the body, but it was still doable.

Now that my son is back in school, I might get a chance to paint more!

À bientôt!

 

Work in Progress – Hairy Neighbour – Part 1

2016-09-08-14-33-43

At last, I was finally able to start painting again!

Here is the evolution, so far, of my new piece “Hairy Neighbour” (title subject to change, haha).

For now, I’ve worked two days on it. I started by transferring my sketch with pastel pencil on my toned canvas.

2016-09-09-17-39-23

The first day was to work on the background. This is the first time that I use an airbrush to do a background (or to paint anything, really). So, there is a learning curve to it, but it seems to have worked for this piece. I had to do several layers and pretty much started over a few times before I got to an acceptable background. I will most likely be painting a bit on it to give it more texture.. I’ll see once the raccoon is completed.

2016-09-12-11-37-522016-09-12-11-38-40

The next step, were the eyes. I like to start with the eyes first. This way, I know if I’m on the right track or not.

2016-09-12 14.27.35.jpgThen I did some minor correction to the eyes and start restating the lines of the drawings.

2016-09-12-14-38-542016-09-12-15-26-46My next step was to start blocking the different tones on the head, very roughly. Everything will be refined, but I needed to start with a base. A lot will change. I started to detail the ears and also blocked in the tree.

I will put the raccoon’s body in front of the bottom right branch, to give it more presence (it looks too small like that). I will probably rework the tree branches with a palette knife and, after the raccoon and tree are done, I will retouch the background if needed.

Hope to put the finished piece soon! I’ve also got to work on the title…

À bientôt!