Fluffius Maximus – The Raccoon

22_FluffiusMaximus.JPG

Fluffius Maximus, 16″ x 20″, Acrylics

Fluffius Maximus was our resident raccoon neighbour this summer. He lived in the tree in front of our condo. Every morning, around 8 o’clock-ish, we would hear the crows chasing him up the tree. Then, he would settle into a squirrel’s nest, and stay there until the sun went down, occasionally checking up on us. After he had thoroughly destroyed the squirrel’s nest, he moved on. The poor squirrel looked quite distraught when he saw its nest after Fluffius vacated the premises. I don’t think he got his security deposit back.. hehe.

 This painting went through a lot of changes since my last post. It went through  a phase where it looked like a dumpling, then it could have been a character in the movie Coraline, with tiny beady eyes. I had to totally repaint the eyes, and rework some parts of the background to un-dumpling Fluffius.

It was my first time using the airbrush to paint. I actually really like the result! It was a bit inconvenient when I had to reshape the body, but it was still doable.

Now that my son is back in school, I might get a chance to paint more!

À bientôt!

 

Advertisements

Work in Progress – Hairy Neighbour – Part 1

2016-09-08-14-33-43

At last, I was finally able to start painting again!

Here is the evolution, so far, of my new piece “Hairy Neighbour” (title subject to change, haha).

For now, I’ve worked two days on it. I started by transferring my sketch with pastel pencil on my toned canvas.

2016-09-09-17-39-23

The first day was to work on the background. This is the first time that I use an airbrush to do a background (or to paint anything, really). So, there is a learning curve to it, but it seems to have worked for this piece. I had to do several layers and pretty much started over a few times before I got to an acceptable background. I will most likely be painting a bit on it to give it more texture.. I’ll see once the raccoon is completed.

2016-09-12-11-37-522016-09-12-11-38-40

The next step, were the eyes. I like to start with the eyes first. This way, I know if I’m on the right track or not.

2016-09-12 14.27.35.jpgThen I did some minor correction to the eyes and start restating the lines of the drawings.

2016-09-12-14-38-542016-09-12-15-26-46My next step was to start blocking the different tones on the head, very roughly. Everything will be refined, but I needed to start with a base. A lot will change. I started to detail the ears and also blocked in the tree.

I will put the raccoon’s body in front of the bottom right branch, to give it more presence (it looks too small like that). I will probably rework the tree branches with a palette knife and, after the raccoon and tree are done, I will retouch the background if needed.

Hope to put the finished piece soon! I’ve also got to work on the title…

À bientôt!

New season

It has been a nice, long summer!

My studio has been reorganized and I’m all ready for a new season of painting… as soon as my son goes back to school later this week.

I did not produce any paintings this summer, but I’ve been busy working on photography for reference pictures and I’ve been reading about techniques. Also, I’ve been a personal chauffeur (kids..!).

I’m very excited to start painting again, I’m full of ideas! I’m starting a piece this week (Raccoon!) and will post some progress as it evolves.

À bientôt!